Saturday, October 22, 2011

Desk Top

Alright, so I need a new desk.  WOW, haven't purchased a desk in a few years (like 6 years) and so I was a little shocked at a few things.

1. EXPENSIVE
2. Why is it that "real" wood no longer exists.  I finally found some wood file cabinets, they still really are not wood.  And it isn't like I am looking for top of the line anything.  I just wanted a painted black wood file cabinet.

Okay, wow I could rant on that all day long!  I found some file cabinets that would work, and they are black painted wood like I wanted.  They were not too outrageous and the quality was workable.  I may have to re enforce a few things (I have kids at my house, everything has to be durable!).  So then I started searching for the desk top.

We are not talking about granite here.  I am talking about a piece of wood, about 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide PAINTED black.  We are not talking about precious hard wood here.  $200 for the cheep ones. 

After I started breathing again, I decided to figure this one out.  All of you DIY'ers out there will see where I am coming from.

Things to know about me.  I CAN use power tools, but not always correctly.  I DO NOT ask my husband for help very often.  He is an amazing man and busy as all get out.  So, I have learned after nearly 20 years of marriage that one has to be able to figure it out by ones self!

So, went to the hardware store, picked out a piece of wood, molding for the front and side edges, wood glue, finish nails, wood putty, sand paper, and paint.  I was $40 in and good to go. (the paint is not in the amount, I actually already had the black paint that I had been using for other projects.

I searched through all the 2 foot wide boards at the hardware store and didn't find any with a really nice front edge, so I had to "rig" the table saw.  I cut off an inch of the board so I have this beautiful front edge to put my molding on.  The  molding was cut, glued, and nailed into place and the putty was applied.  Sanding followed and today I am painting.  I will update you with those pictures when the painting is completed.